Thursday, October 6, 2016

Taking Bold Steps

Dear Friends

2016 Birthday means a lot to me, because it is a critical point in my life, after been given such privilege early in life to serve humanity before age 12. Ever since the day I came in contact with the Red Cross recruiter (Mr Gabriel Anjov), thanks to Abiodun Ipaye and Bosede Ipaye in high school, my life has not remained the same. I thank God for a unique family he gave me that allowed me to take a sabbatical from schooling after high school that allowed me to volunteer free full-time for four years with the Red Cross before returning to college, that gave me the opportunity to travel across Nigeria and West Africa, those years deepened my resolved them to be a development worker the entirety of my career.
From my last Birthday I made a pledge of supporting the girl child deliberately, through mentorship, support for anyone seeking leadership position in any group I am a part of, or influencing her to do so, that pledge has not changed. But a lot has happened around me, since last year, as I travelled across the globe, and within my community the cases of Gender Based Violence, and abusive young boys is getting alarming, teenagers sexually abusing adults up to been their mothers and grandma. Teens exposed to drugs and violence. I saw a generation that need help, and I realized if we must support the girl child, then we must pledge to raise young boys that will grow up lovely and sweet. Those that will not allow pressure or high demand of the society turn them into monsters.

Therefore on this birthday I am pledging to ensure that no young man around me, becomes an abuser, so help me God. I ask every of my friend especially the Males as a birthday gift to me, to pledge to mentor young boys around them; live by examples, grown them into gentlemen, expand their knowledge base, have weekend retreat with them, summer camps/trips. Be a Father to a dying generation. We might not be able to save the whole world, but we can save our neighbourhood, or better still your own boys, or nephews, cousins and younger brothers. Ruth Smelter once said that “every child has the right to be well fed and well led”.  Lets’ go lead.      

Finally it is a season of taking bold steps, it is not the Gbenga or Isaac you knew before now, though the laughter’s and smiles has not gone away, but you now have a man that no longer settle for little or take No for an answer.

“I am tired of sailing my little boat, far inside the harbour bar. I want to go out where the big ships float, out on the deep where the great ones are. And should my frail craft prove too slight for waves that sweep those billows o’er, I’d rather go down in the stirring fight than drowse to death at the sheltered shore” –Unknown 
In all of these, God knows he is in charge of me, and I am because He is the “I am that I am” and He made a way, that’s why I am standing here.

Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment