Monday, December 19, 2011

OGI: Facebook Top 10 Frineds for 2011








Social media sites continually provide new channels of communication and connection through the Internet to millions of users around the world. And one of such channels and most used is FACEBOOK.  Though many has abused the good intent and benefits of social media, like; the ability to communicate with many people and enable people to communicate with each other; easy ways to create and distribute content; and access to wide variety of information. Though it’s called Facebook and many indeed made it a place to show their beautiful/handsome faces, make comments that are sometimes meaningful or ‘foolish’ not worth the appearance of their faces. However as I end year 2011, I would be celebrating 10 out of my 585 +1 friends on FB, though they were more than ten friends of mine that understood the benefits of social media that made maximum used of them, I celebrate this ten for making FB a tool of social development, impacting our generation and giving opportunity to others to shine.
A gentle reminder please, if your name does not appear among this ten jewels, it does not mean your activity was not appreciated, if indeed you are convinced in your heart, that your activities was not just about sharing photos of yourself, conferences (Not even sharing one with a friend to attend) and making obnoxious comments, then you are celebrated, if you heart condemns you, then make up your mind to turn a new leave in 2012 AD.
I now present my Facebook 2011, TOP 10: (Presented in no particular order) 

1.  BOLA ESSIEN-NELSON 
Author of Best Selling book, Diary of A Desperate Naija-Women and Co-founder of The NaijaSistas Book-Stop. She was a blessing to whoever read her comment on FB, shared extract from her book, one of her best comment for me was: “The only way is God's way. Regardless of how you feel or don't feel, what they did or did not do, what you have or do not have, what seems fair or not, God's way MUST be YOUR way. Why? Cos it is the ONLY way to where He is taking us. It is the ONLY way to our NEW thing. Trust me, the devil knows this better than we do and he will not stop trying to get you to do it your way. KICK HIM OUT OF YOUR HEAD NOW! He is not that powerful! STICK to God's way. OK? We can do this! God is cheering for us! It is a FIXED Fight in our favour. Auntie Bola keep, impacting your space, because you have found purpose.   

2.       Grace Ihejiamaizu 

Managing Founder/Project Coordinator at RYPE Initiative, a lady of honour I named her, coordinates activities of Students in Free Entreprise Alumni on Facebook, a product of her initiative after a first ever online meeting of the Alumni, she has indeed been a magnate for the group. She is doing a great job at RYPE Initiative in the City of Calabar. She has shared/keeps sharing opportunity on the group page and her personal page. Though I have not met her in person, as a social scientist I know I am dealing with a personage. Her best comment for me was I fix my eyes not on the things that are seen (technology, material possessions etc) but on the things which are unseen (Kingdom of heaven). For the things which are seen are temporary, but things unseen are everlasting!” Hey Grace just be strong for us in 2012.         

3.       Patricia Omoqui ThoughtDr
Our own Niaja-Oyibo, an Inspirational Speaker, Life Coach and Author; Like John the Baptist said in th Bible, he is whom shoe am not worthy to lose. She is a mentor to all Nigeria Youths that have come across her write-up on FB, on her column in Vangaurd Newspaper and many events she has spoken at in Nigeria. You cannot read her comment and remain the same; some positive thought must steer in you. Her best comment for me To know that you know that you know God's will is always being done no matter how circumstances appear---to release fully into the Divine plan with a smile on face and no stress in body....that's my aim. ” Our Niaja-Oyibo ‘wa pe fun ooooo’ (you will stay long for us). Check out her webpage (www.patriciaomoqui.com)           
4.       Maxwell Ogaga
A minister of the gospel of Christ, team leader at Dare 2 Dream Youth Initiative, a member of many impact youth movement concerned with raising a generation of community Centered youth, an advocate of peace and democratic values. Pastor Max made its activities on FB the voice of the one in the wilderness, prepare ye the way of change coming to Nigeria and Africa. With Him I say there is hope for a hopeless country like ours. His best comment for me was Apostle's do not go to "nations" to improve their traveling CV's or Fill up their passports.If You have been travelling & can't show the ESTABLISHED FRUITS of your trips.Then stay @ Home.To many to and fro nothing getting built, developed and matured. Fruits Needed:Check out His blog (http://pastormaxwell.com)  

5.       Jennifer Poet
Hmmmmm, a multi-faceted journalist and writer, currently on-line curator and blog editor at UNAIDS. Sincerely am motivated by her talents and exploit and she is still as humble as she is, when I come to FB I look forward to her post, even opportunities she will apply at, she shares, rare I say are young Nigerian like her. Please keep been you, wa kpe fun wa ooooo.  Her best comment for me in 2011 is “God’s plan for your life is so much bigger than your own. You’ll look back and say, “That was God. I never could have done that on my own./I have looked at the whole matter, and looked at the matter as a whole. And this is all I have to say: Without Jesus Christ, I am nothing.”   
Check out Her blog http://youthmakingchange.blogspot.com/   

6.       Mobolaji Akiode
Foreign Nigerian like we will call her only had to come home for the compulsory National Youth Service, founder of H4G (Hope for Girls) an initiative she is using to empower disadvantage young African women in sports and education. The first day I heard speak on Sport Real on the Network service of Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) I knew this one has found purpose and I was proud to be a Nigerian, I immediately sent a friend request which she oblige, and even since her activities both on her FB and the H4G has been empowering indeed. Foreign ‘Niaja Perkin’ I say well-done, though things might be as organized as they are in the State, you thought it wise to play your own quota.  Stay well jare, her best comment for 2011 “they believe in me, i believe in nothing…”    

7.       DESPLAY Republic
The next guy on the list is not a single person it’s a community of doers and democrats, the republic birthed by a dynamic youth organization in Nigeria, the Youngstars foundation formally in Jos-Plateau State now in Lugbe-Abuja. The Group is made up of young Nigerians concerned with championing the cause of good governance and promoting democracy through their own participation. The group is headed by no other person than the founder and team leader of Youngstars foundation, Pastor KNT and DESPLAYS’ Coordinator Sir. Bola      

8.       3Minutes
A group conceived and managed by a graphic artist and DESPLAY’S Fellow, Maurice Ukpong, is a social network/platform where young people all over the world share great ideas, unveil opportunity and discus issues on the way forward on Governance, Health, Education, Business, Talents, Relationship etc. I want to tell you this group indeed kept their promise. Maurice and his team I want to say keep doing what you know how to do best, don’t derail, never!         

9.       African Resourceful Leaders Foundation (ARL Foundation)
A group managed by my friend and brother Jamiu Akangbe, has a vision to raise leaders and committed to ensure that young people are better mobilized and empowered actively to participate in sustainable development in the society. Indeed ARL Foundation has been a voice for Lagos children! Jamiu, Ebenezer and the entire ARL Foundation keep doing what you know how to do best!     

10   Elegbede Tayo Jet/ Maria Elena Martin
Joint on number 10, is my friend/brother Jet, a freelance journalist in Lagos and a presenter with NOUN FM 105.9 at Victoria-Island and Maria Elena Martin, Area Developer/ Consultant at Jafra Cosmetics, she lives in Florida USA. Elegbede Jet Tayo as a freelance broadcast journalist, as given voice to many youth initiative on governance, democracy and many national issues on his programme REAL TALK. And for Maria Elena Martina, I call a worthy mother/grand mother of our generation, she is a personage to our generation.  Jets best comment for 2011 “To be honest is not to be considered as being stupid. To be objective and fair-minded in argumentative analysis is not to be interpreted as being aggressive. All human beings can't sleep and face the same direction. Take A Stand!” 


Well friends and folks, among this ten, I choose as my top 10 FB friends, only four (4) of them, have I met in person, the rest are friend of a friend or due to the fact that I belong to the social works business we stumble into each other. The point here is not the personal knowing, but the positive power of social media network, as we go into year 2012, dare to bring smiles, connect people with opportunities, motivate and stay turned to life through the power of the social media.

Love you all! Merry Christmas and a glorious New year!                 


    
            



2 comments:

  1. I am truly humbled. I look back at my life and I know that THIS can only be a God thing. Thank you Gbenga. God just used you to lift my chin up and say 'Carry on, its going to be A-OK'. O se ganni! Aluta Continua in the name of the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gbenga! All I can say, God's grace is always sufficient! :-)

    ReplyDelete